Monday 9 April 2012

Supplement

I love my Karate training, and Jiu-Jitsu as well.

Both are wonderful, and self contained. What would I add to my training if I could?

Well, I've always been interested in the art of the Japanese sword. One summer I trained in Iaido, and found it wonderful. There is none around here.

In Jiu-Jitsu we're always getting dumped. I'd really like to have an opportunity to work on falls. We do a little about that, but really nothing like enough. I understand the principals intellectually, but need about a hundred hours of drill to make it automatic.

I don't need to add much to my training. I currently attend 5 classes a week. Soon it will increase to 8, and then maybe even to 9 in the fall.

Would I honestly attend a couple more so I could train in Iaido? Probably not, even if the times did not conflict. Perhaps it's a good thing that it isn't available so I don't have to think about it.

There isn't a class that offers fall training. I could work on that alone, but I won't. I could do a few private lessons in Jiu-Jitsu and have the focus be on break falls, but I won't. Other stuff is more fun and intellectually interesting.

A lot of people do other forms of exercise to supplement their training. I ride bikes and run.

I am starting to try out some weird, barefoot running shoes. It is a misnomer, as shoes are involved but they are really just thin, tough skins to protect the foot. The wearer has to run in the same way as a barefoot runner.

I've been out once semi-barefoot and have noticed a big difference. One has to run without impacting the heal at all. The calves have to work much, much harder. I predict a significant increase in leg strength. This assumes that my flat feet are up to going support-less. We shall see.





No comments:

Post a Comment