Tuesday 3 April 2012

EasterAndGreen

Easter will be here this weekend.

The Karate Club will lose the Saturday class, as will the Jiu-Jitsu folks. I'm secretly glad about Jiu-Jitsu, as I can't be there anyhow. Don't want anybody catching up to me. Is that wrong?

I'm glad in another way, as the next Jiu-Jitsu Saturday is supposed to cover the test's second part. It's the hardest, and I'd hate to miss it. With the class cancelled, we'll just do it the next week.

It's funny. Now that I'm a Sensei again I have become two martial arts people.

In Jiu-Jitsu I interpret all the training as being about me. How am I doing? Will I be ready for my test? When will I test? There are other people, but they are responsible for themselves. I'm not.

In Karate things are just the opposite. It isn't about me at all. I was concerned about my students being ready for their tests. They are rising to the challenge. They are on it. I am the helper.

I can see them all wearing Green Belts before July.

Being a Green Belt is cool. It's the first rank where if you count creatively you can pretend you are halfway to Black Belt. It isn't really true, but it almost is.

I'm proud to be able to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment