Sunday 29 April 2012

Madness

In recent years Apple hasn't been a computer company. They've been a fix-broken-industry company.

First was the iPod. There were already lots of mp3 players out there. They were all painful to use. The only music you could put on them was that you made yourself from cds, or got bootleg off the internet. The iPods were a joy to use, and now music is either legally available online for free, or you pay a nominal fee to purchase it. The purchase procedure couldn't be easier.

Next was the iPhone. Blackberry was dominant back then and had the only product that could laughingly be called a smart phone. The iPhone is easy to use, and magnificent in design. Now cell carriers have to carry dozens of smart phone models just to be competitive, and have to offer varied subscription plans. The success of the iPhone has since been copied by Android and Windowsphone.

The iPad seems to be a giant iPod or iPhone, but it isn't. It is a new way to use the internet, and to view and create content.

People think that Apple will go after the TV/Cable industry next. Perhaps, but that's not where I want them to go.

I want the iBike. Bikes today are a lot like computers or cell phones a few years ago. They are tricky, finicky, and need constant tinkering. They are quite ridiculous contraptions, and I say this as a bike rider.

I want Apple to make one that doesn't need constant mechanical fiddling. As a non-mechanical person mine goes to the shop several times a year.

Bike defenders say that they are mechanical beasts and that things wear out. Our Toyota Prius has been in the shop about once a year for servicing, and has never had a problem. My bike goes in maybe 3 times a year. My car has never had a problem of any kind. My bike has many. My car has many more moving parts, and is subject to much higher stresses. It even has engines and stuff that never fail. On the bike I am the engine.

There are things about bikes I'll never understand. Today I went to take my new folding bike for a spin. The tires were a little low, so I got out my bike pump. I've had many bikes in my life and many cars. They have all had many tires that were similar in only one way. They all had matching tire valves. My new folding bike does not. What the hell is that?

I have three pumps in my home, but they all fit "normal" valves. We even have two bikes made by the same company. They both have normal valves. This is crap.

Come on, Apple. Bring order to the madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment