Thursday 12 April 2012

Job

This is an important time of year for High School teachers. It is the time when the school schedule for next year is figured out. We find out what our jobs will be like next year.

So far, my position will be fine. I will be teaching 6 classes of Social Studies and 1 of Computers. These are both my areas of expertise. This is good.

In my career I've taught both of these subjects, and Science, and Math, and English. I am not a Science, Math, or English teacher.

I am happy as can be for next year. It will be a good last year of teaching. I'd hate to have a crappy assignment for my pre-retirement year.

My assignment is a good one mostly due to my tons of seniority. It is painful to see young teachers waiting year after year hoping to get a full time position. They say they aren't circling me like a herd of buzzards, but they are. My full-time job will be a real gem for somebody to inherit.

Keep in mind, that when I call them young teachers it's a relative term. People in their 40s are still struggling. Every year they lay off about 75% of all our teaching staff. I have only been exempt for a couple of years, and I'm almost retired.

It can be good to be old.







No comments:

Post a Comment