Tuesday 10 April 2012

MonthToGo

It is April 10th today, and that's a special day in my Jiu-Jitsu schedule. As of this moment, I have 11 more Combatives (evening) classes and 4 more Reflex (Saturday) classes to go before I can test. I will be ready one month from today.

The Reflex classes are no problem. I have two private lessons booked for those, and have 4 Saturdays coming in the next month. I will exceed the minimum.

There will be one private lesson devoted to Combatives, leaving 10 to go through at the rate of two per week. They will reach completion May 10th.

This all will get me to the minimum requirement. Like most martial arts it all hinges on permission by the instructor. He is very supportive of my maniac pace and I'm sure he'll let me start the test as soon as sensible.

They say the test takes about a month to complete. For each segment, usually one gets all ready by going through the sequence a number of times with a partner. Then it is done for real and recorded as a video. If it all goes well, the instructor reviews it again later. If it is still considered good enough it is saved to be sent off to Gracie HQ with all the other segments for actual grading.

There are five sections to the exam. The longest is 23 techniques, and the shortest is 14. All are very physically demanding and each section must be completed in less than five minutes.

I hope I get some pity points for being old...

No comments:

Post a Comment