Saturday 21 April 2012

Check obsession

The record card for a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu White Belt has lots of little boxes to check off with training.

There are 80 of one kind, 12 of the next, and 69 of another.

I've already completed the 80, and will finish the dozen next Saturday. The remaining six holes in the 69 will take exactly three weeks to complete.

My card is soon to be retired.

The cards are a good idea. They help insure that a student has actually trained in all the parts of the curriculum before they try and change levels.

There is a different, more complicated card for the Blue Belts, but basically the same thing.

The instructor is not concerned that I totally finish my White card before my exam starts. Let's assume I'm done in a month. Call it the end of May.

It has been my hope to get my Blue Belt by the end of June, as I might not be able to train in July or August at all.

I might actually be able to train as a Blue Belt for a month before my summer shutdown.

There might be a few check marks on my card.

Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment