Thursday 9 June 2011

Teach

In Western culture, we throw around the word expert far too easily.

I have a degree in History. When I graduated, I certainly was not an expert in that field.

Some people complete a weekend course, and become their group's expert.

It took me four years to get my Black Belt. When I did, I was in no way an expert. Was a practising Black Belt for 14 years. At the end of that time, I still did not consider myself an expert. Back training now, but as I've likely forgotten part of what I knew back then.

Luckily, however, one doesn't need real expertise to begin spreading knowledge to others.

In Karate, I taught half of my club's classes when I had my Green Belt. I was a one-year-old teacher. Of course, I only taught exactly what I'd been taught. Maybe I was more of a practise leader, than a real teacher.

A high level Black Belt might have done a better job, but to White Belts maybe not.

Becoming a teacher at any skill level forces you to verbalize what you yourself have learned. Teaching is a fabulous way for the teacher to learn.

Teaching is not for everybody. Some don't enjoy doing it. Some have no knack for it.

There is a famous story of a Japanese gentleman who was assigned to be chief instructor in a certain English speaking country. His own English was somewhat....interesting.

He attempted to correct a class of eager Black Belts on their hip rotation. Trying to explain, he barked out, "push you stomach." Everyone was puzzled. Their technique did not improve. He screamed louder, "push you stomach." They tried to push their stomachs. As a result Karateka from that country developed a notable, gut-forced-forward stance. Crappy teacher.

If I were unable to speak at all, I think I could still train up pretty competent students. A good Karate teacher explains with words, demonstrations, by moving student's bodies, or whatever it takes. Sometimes a silly face is in order.

It isn't expertise that is needed, although that is nice. What is needed to be a teacher is desire, and teaching ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment