Sunday 19 June 2011

Boat

Today, we booked a cruise to Alaska for next month.

It will be our 10th cruise. We like cruises.

It will be our 6th one to Alaska.

Actually, we much prefer trips to exotic, warm places. Mexico, the Caribbean, and the Bahamas have all been more to my taste than Alaska.

What's wrong with Alaska? Nothing, if you're from New York, or Florida, or Los Angeles. You'll adore the islands and mountains all covered with West Coast rain forest. I live on the West Coast, with forests, islands and mountains.

But the fabulous towns, you say. I live in a funky little coastal town. It is the same as all the funky coastal towns in Alaska that the cruise ships visit.

Glaciers? I've seen glaciers.

Why do we go to Alaska? Simple. Friends and family have wanted to go, and we jump at any chance to cruise. It's always been a trip with others for us. It's the same this year. We are going with Lola, and Bernie, and Lola's mom Phyllis.

The ships leave from Vancouver so we don’t have to travel to get to the cruise.

I would cruise if the ship didn’t go anywhere at all. My favourite cruise days are those where we don’t dock. I love all the activities, and dancing, and shows, and meals. Sitting by the indoor pool is swell, even in Alaska, or maybe especially in Alaska.

So Alaska here we come. In Juneau and Ketchikan, we walk into town and shop for an hour or so, then back to our fabulous ship. In Skagway, I like to go for a long run to noplace, and then again it’s back to the ship.

Can’t miss lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment