Wednesday 11 May 2011

Tired

There is an idea in physically trained activities that fatigue makes for good technique.

You know the idea. In Karate, it can be mean that after a few hundred punches, or kicks, or whatever one gets really tired. So far, no problem. When extremely tired, the theory goes; one’s body will eliminate every extraneous motion, leaving only perfect technique behind.

Cool theory. I just can’t buy it. “What is your opposing theory,” you might say? I don’t have one. I have observation. You know, Scientific method.

I’ve seen people doing very large numbers of kicks. Let’s say it’s front kick. The first few are the best that the person can do. Posture is good, form is correct. As fatigue increases, form fails. The head starts pulling down on each kick. The precise leg action turns into a flail. The flaws increase until the person literally cannot continue. No period of perfection occurs.

You’ve seen it, too. Watch boxing. Those guys get really, really tired. You’ll soon find some guy that starts out looking really sharp. 12 rounds later, he’s throwing looping punches. When he does connect, half of his power is gone. His fine defensive form is gone, and his hands are down around his knees.

I guess my theory is, get tired and you’ll move like a tired person.

If you want to disprove me, it should be easy. Get a few people and tape them doing something technical. Wear them out doing it. Look closely at the recording when they are fresh, and when they are ready to drop.

Beat me with observation if you disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment