Friday 20 May 2011

New Guy

Another new student is joining today.

I love watching their journeys. Sometimes the trip is very short. Some give it a try, and it’s just not for them. Some make it a month, so the fire didn’t catch.

How long should a quest be? My first Karate step was in September of 1981. I believe that is thirty years, or it will be in a few months.

How much sweat has that been? How much blood?

I have trained with friends, and with legends. It is impossible for me to imagine how many people I’ve shared a training floor with. Each person had a different experience, that it was my privilege to briefly share.

I have learned so much. Some obvious, some not.

I’ve learned to punch, and to teach, and to control a packed gym with the inflection in my voice.

I’ve learned a few words of Japanese, a little Zen, and applied physics.

Watching the new students, I wonder where Karate will take them.

2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite of your blogs so far! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. A graceful compilation of thoughts. I agree with your lovely wife; this is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete