Monday 30 May 2011

Selfish

Testing for our coloured belts on Friday. I don't really know which are going for it, and which are not.

I can think of maybe three White Belts who are ready, and maybe a Yellow or two. Maybe our Green will try, too. Not a big grading, even if I've forgotten a person or two.

I expect a respectable pass rate.

I do hope that Dixon Sensei is not as polite this time. He had all three of our Black Belts sit at the examiner's table with him. The usual purpose of this is so he can make verbal comments to the club's instructor, or to ask questions about a candidate. If a club's instructor cannot be there, a stand-in Black Belt should be. No reason for all of us.

I bet he wanted our Sensei there for these reasons. I had been the club's Sensei up until almost that date, so he probably had me there so I wouldn't feel insulted and left out. With two of us there, it would have been rude to have excluded Armando.

If I get to sit at the side with the rest of the club, I can make discrete written notes to pass along to candidates later. I can also talk to people, and encourage, and answer questions. At the side, I can do some good. At the test table I can do none of these things. One must sit, and be reasonably still, and be totally silent unless spoken to. Can't even take pictures or video.

If I were Sensei, of course I would be at the table, but I'm just one of the guys in the line. If we had ten Black Belts, we wouldn't all be at the table.

Just in case I'm put at the table, I'll bring my iPad along with a good movie on it.

Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment