Monday 23 May 2011

Maps

I am deeply a technology geek. The affair started about 1980, and continues to this day.

Can you guess the technology I have a special relationship with? A hint is hidden in my name, Gordon Paul Stromkins.

That's right. My initials are GPS. I've owned a string of these things ever since their price dropped to the po' folks range.

I have one on my bike, to keep track of my speed, and the distance I travel. I have a wrist model to track my runs. One in the car, too, of course.

Car models are great. They figure routes so very painlessly. Sadly, on this trip, our car GPS lost its brains.

How did we ever get back from the Cariboo without technology? It is a very easy route. Leave motel parking lot, turn left and go 400km, turn right at Hope, then board the ferry when the road runs out in 175km.

The job of our car GPS is to entertain me. It keeps me up on how far until the next town, and stuff like that.

It made me think how upset I would be if we were someplace I didn't know. Back to using maps? That would suck.

I am pretty old, but I don't want to do without technology. Maybe I should talk more like some of my friends. You know the ones. "Kids these days don't even know how to fold a map let alone read one."

I can fold a map, and read them, too. I just don't wanna.

1 comment:

  1. What voice do you have on your GPS Gord? We have nicknamed my dad's GPS lady Esmerelda and she is never wrong! Vanessa

    ReplyDelete