Saturday 14 May 2011

Kata Collection

In Shotokan Karate there are 25 Katas, but some include a 26th.

Each is an entity unto itself, but they are also grouped into levels.

The first group of six is the easiest. They are also each required as part of the six first belt tests. Passing the last of these six tests earns a Brown Belt.

After earning a Brown Belt, there are two more exams which earn higher levels of Brown, and then a third that earns a Black Belt. The student gets to pick the Kata they do on these tests from a group of four. These are more complicated than the earlier group. They also have cool names Bassai Dai (to storm a fortress), Kanku Dai (looking at the sky), Jion (a proper name that refers to a temple), and Empi (flight of a swallow)

After these first ten Katas, there is another group of five. All 15 together are known as the basic Katas. These five are Tekki Nidan, Tekki Sandan, Hangetsu, Jitte (ten hands), and Gankaku (crane on a rock).

The last ten are the advanced Katas. Gojushiho Sho, Gojushiho Dai, Nijushiho Sho, Chin te, Soichin, Wankan, Meikyo, Unsu, Bassai Sho, and Kanku Sho.

The 26th Kata is named Jiin. Some instructors consider it one of the advanced group, while others don’t include it anywhere.

I don’t know Jiin, nor do I know Gojushiho Dai, Soichin, Unsu or Kanku Sho. I can do the other 21 Katas.

Nobody at our club knows the ones I do not, so I can’t learn them there. The nearest other Shotokan clubs are in the Greater Vancouver area. If we bring in a big instructor to our town, there is no way they’ll be teaching a Kata that would only be appropriate to me. I can go in to the city, but there is no guarantee they’d be doing a Kata I desire. It could be years before my collection is complete.

I don’t mind. It’s a goal, hovering on the edge of consciousness.

Maybe I should focus on a Kata I already know and try and do it very, very well. That could be nice, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment