Wednesday 11 May 2011

Hobos

I like thinking about fantasy vacations. I don’t mean sky-is-the-limit kind of things. What is meant are trips we could really choose to do. Probably won’t, but we could.

If we’d gone the Japan in the 1990s, we would have had a place to stay provided by my Karate instructor, Sakurai Sensei. We never took him up on it. We have since been out of contact for a decade, and although we’ve recently exchanged emails, I can’t count on free accommodation now.

Still would love to go to Japan, and get smacked by the best Karate people around. Even without martial arts I’d love to see the country as a tourist. Would be very cool to go there after retirement to learn to speak Japanese. I wonder if Helen would like to learn Japanese. I know she doesn’t want to train in Karate.

Flights are not cheap, maybe $1200. I’ve heard hotels are pricy, but Travelocity has a ton in Tokyo for under a $100 per night. That would make the basics for a month be $5400 for Helen and me without food. Have to find a cheaper way than that. I think we’ll want food.

Maybe we could be hobos.

No comments:

Post a Comment