Saturday 14 May 2011

Internal Myth

Every so often something happens in Karate that just might become somebody’s lasting memory. Today could have been such a day.

We were all partnered up, working on pre-arranged drills. After a bit, we were all rotated to other groups. I headed over to a pair consisting of Armando, the assistant teacher, and a big, athletic, young white belt named Cody.

Armando’s back had had enough, and he asked me to go with Cody, but the words he used were, “could you spar with Cody?” Did you catch that? He said spar. I asked, “What kind?”

He shrugged. I got out the free fighting gloves.

Usually it is quite a while before one free fights. Not real fighting. Not supposed to hurt each other.

We started. Cody mimicked the way I moved, which was a very good idea. Sensei saw us, but let us go on. She did, however, yell for everybody to quit what they were doing and watch.

Mostly, I let Cody do stuff. I threw just enough to make it feel real for him. He did very well, and we both ended with a smile.

This could be one of those events that was only a big deal for one person in the room. He might not remember it for more than a week or two, but it could also become one of his internal Karate myths. His first time sparring, and it was with a Black Belt. Will he recall nuances that held great meaning, even if they really didn’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment