Tuesday 24 May 2011

Kata

I like Kata very much.

A Kata is a string of Karate moves. They were developed many years ago. The moves must be done in the correct order, and done properly, and done with appropriate speed and power.

They are hard to do, or at least to do well.

They also develop variations over time, as even the most dedicated students often learn the movements incorrectly, or they learn them correctly, and later start remembering them incorrectly. I do this quite often I'm sure. Many Karateka deny that they are ever wrong.

Some moves tend to attract disagreement more than others. Movement 7 of Heian Nidan is one such trouble spot. One either steps up to do the kick, or steps halfway up to do the kick, or one does the kick on the spot.

I maintain that the correct way is halfway step. I've been taught all 3 ways, but the halfway step method makes sense to me in application, whereas the others do not. Does this make me correct? Nope, at least not outside of my own mind.

Typical.

I like doing the higher Katas even more.

In Kanku Dai, the same move I was talking about above happens twice. In this Kata, the first time you do the halfway step. The second time, you do the kick on the spot. Doing them the same twice is an error. How confusing is that?

I am a little strange, in that the Katas I like best are the unpopular ones. I like Wankan, and Meikyo. Many don't. I think they are entitled to their opinions, but they are boneheads.

Kata practice is where I can occasionally attain a state of Zen. Doing the Kata, doing it right, and not thinking at all. Can only do this with one that is very familiar, and rarely even then.

Without Kata, Karate would just be hitting people.

With Kata, Karate is hitting people with a flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment