Saturday 7 May 2011

Self-defense

So I’ve been off Karate for a while. Can’t substitute biking or running either.

This meant I didn’t dirty up any uniforms, so they are all out of the laundry. All nice and white and dry and folded so they won’t wrinkle.

I’ve also had time to think about technique. There are tons of them. Offhand, I can come up with 9 basic kicks, and I bet I forgot some.

Each one has several variations. For example, round kick has 3; hard powerful basic style, snappy sparring style, and heavy from-the-floor style.

Some variations are easy to do, some are difficult. Each has its own practical applications. Some variations are harmless to use, while others play havoc on the body of the thrower.

Karate movements are designed to deliver speed, or power, or defense. They are not designed to be kind on the Karateka’s body.

Even the stances can be murder on the joints.

Logically, the danger in a combat sport should come from the combat. Not true. Injury comes from both the combat, and from the basic movements’ effect on the joints and back.

I don’t spar all that much, and I’m experienced enough that there isn’t any untoward risk. Accidents can happen, but are not worrying.

As I am getting ancient, I’m more concerned with self-inflicted damage.

My resolution is to use the least stressing version of each potentially damaging technique. No more classic side thrust kick for me.

And my uniforms are nice and clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment