Friday 9 December 2011

Ice and Dark

Not a bad day for car people, but icy for two-wheeled folks.

This morning it was a handful of degrees below freezing. Frost all over, and wet looking pavement that couldn't possibly be wet. All sorts of ice.

Didn't do any slippin' and slidin', but worried about it.

On the after-school ride home, there were still patches of frost that had survived from the morning. That is cold.

Pretty dark in the morning, too. I have one more week of increasing dark ahead. After that, I don't ride until we are as far from the winter solstice as we are now, except passed and not before. That means when I ride in 2012, I'll be back to as much light as we had today. I'm glad it won't be darker. Only next week will be.

Every day after that, I gain some morning glow back.

The cold won't turn around quite that soon. Maybe a month later I can see the degrees sneaking upwards.

Maybe we won't get any serious cold. Sometimes we don't. The West Coast of Canada gets jokingly referred to as the Banana Belt for just this reason. Last year we had no snow at all. I didn't lose a single ride day to weather. Managing that again would be swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment