Wednesday 14 December 2011

Dancing, a meal, and a show

How does one celebrate the holidays around here?

There is a tradition at my school that goes back to before I started teaching there two decades ago. All the PE classes dance throughout the month of December.

The last couple of days before Christmas, the PE teachers invite other classes to join them in the gym.

I am taking all my classes down to dance for the next two days. I force them to dance? No way. They have been begging to go.

I will have danced my legs down to the stumps by the time the last bell rings on Friday.

There will be times when there will be a hundred kids bopping away with remarkable skill.

Before school on Friday the staff sets up early and cooks a massive pancake breakfast for the students. This is a very popular event.

There is also a massive student talent show that occupies all of Friday afternoon. Some of the kids who voluntarily stand up before their peers are really amazing. They are jaw droppingly good.

Then I hop on my bike, and ride home to start the non-school part of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment