Wednesday 7 December 2011

Crisis

I wonder why I'm so full-speed-ahead in my training at age 55.

Maybe it's a very late mid-life crisis. It is the kind of thing a mid-lifer might do. What are some of the symptoms?

According to wikipedia they are;

-abuse of alcohol (not me. Not even close)

-acquisition of unusual or expensive items such as motorbikes, boats, clothing, sports cars, jewelry, gadgets, tattoos, piercings, etc. (I bought my bike a couple of years ago and it's sort of a motorbike, if you close one eye and squint. No boat or expensive clothes. Am interested in a new car, but it's as un-sports car like as is possible. Helen makes me beaded jewelry, and I've always bought gadgets. I find tattoos and piercings hilarious and frightening)

-depression (I'm actually pretty giggly)

-blaming themselves for their failures (I'm a massive success)

-paying special attention to physical appearance such as covering baldness, wearing youthful designer clothes, etc. (I am bald and wear my remaining hair short to emphasize the gleam, and I dress like a hobo)

-entering relationships with younger people, either/or sexual, professional, parental, etc. (creepy or what? I have started training Jiu-Jitsu with a young crowd, but I like the adults best, and wish everybody were my age so I wouldn't be the most decrepit)

-placing over importance, and possibly a psychologically damaging amount, on their children (really can't be me, as I have no kids)

So not a late mid-life crisis. Maybe I'm just a keener. Maybe I'm just mental. Those both seem much closer to the mark.






No comments:

Post a Comment