Thursday 26 January 2012

Must keep busy

Everybody I talk to about retirement wonders how I will keep busy. Please note, these are all people who have not yet retired.

Let's see, I'll still be going to Jiu-Jitsu three times a week, and Karate once. I'll still go to Vancouver for Karate seminars. I'll still ride my bike all the time. I'll run a heck of a lot more.

I would organize some new Karate classes during the daytime. These would be aimed at anybody who doesn't work during the day. Could be retired folks, bartenders, wealthy folks, or vampires. We have a 5th Degree Black Belt who cannot teach in the evenings due to his job, and he loves to teach.

I imagine days that start with a bike ride to town for a cup of coffee. Maybe a run around noon. Everyday would have some kind of martial arts class. I would also read, waste time with the TV and the Xbox. I would do more with my wife. She likes bike riding, too.

All of this assumes I'm close to home.

We both want to travel. We've never been to Hawaii. We've been to Europe once, but spent the entire time visiting Helen's relatives and saw very little beyond that. Japan is also calling. So many places to go.

None of this happens while we're working. Some is just impossible. Can't pop down to Vegas when I have high school kids to teach. Can't have daytime Karate when working. Could run more, in theory, but I'm just too tired after work.

Keep busy? Surely you jest.

No comments:

Post a Comment