Monday 23 January 2012

Ed

Who is Ed O'Neill? He plays the patriarch of the clan on the hit TV show "Modern Family". His most notable role before that was as Al Bundy on the long-running series "Married With Children".

He and I have several things in common.

We are both old guys. He was born in 1946, and I was born in 1956. We have the 1, the 9, and the 6 in common. The other digit is only separated by one.

He married his wife in 1986, the same year Helen let me marry her.

Before he became an actor, he was a Social Studies teacher. I am a Social Studies teacher INSTEAD of being an actor.

He started training in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in 1992. He earned his Gracie Black Belt in 2007 after 15 years of training with the head of the style, 9th Degree Black Belt Rorion Gracie.

I started training in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in 2011. I train with a Blue Belt instructor, and have not earned any rank at all. If I manage to earn a Black Belt as quickly as Ed O'Neill did, I'll be a mere 71 years old, exactly one decade older than Ed was when he did it. If I do it, Ed will be exactly one decade older than me when I do.

It's uncanny.











No comments:

Post a Comment