Monday 2 January 2012

Crowded

Jiu-Jitsu is filling up my week.

As a beginner, I have access to two classes a week. I've augmented this by having a private lesson weekly as well.

Soon, I'll be qualified to attend a third, slightly-more-advanced class. When this happens, I'll cut back a bit on the private lessons.

When I reach Blue Belt, I'll gain access to three more classes. At that point I'll drop the private lessons altogether.

Also, the instructor wants to get a free-training session going, which is another added class.

Soon I'll be going 4 times a week, and after testing will be going 7 times.

It isn't as much as it seems. All the classes are only one hour long. The extra 3 Blue Belt classes fall immediately after the White Belt sessions. It isn't really adding 3 classes, but rather turning three 3 one-hour sessions into two-hour ones.

It does absorb my Tuesdays and Thursdays, and will soon include Saturday mornings. The new free-training session will land on Fridays.

I have already given up one Karate class a week in order to attend the Tuesday class. Stupid conflict. The new free-training will knock out my remaining weekly Karate class on Friday.

This isn't as damaging as it might seem. The local Karate class is pretty low-level. I only attend to get a workout, and to maintain contact. Perhaps I should get a weekend Karate training hour going somehow, or maybe on Monday or Wednesday evening.

I'm enjoying being a true student again. I get that at seminars in Karate, or ordinary classes in Jiu-Jitsu.

It is important to keep learning. It seems to keep a mind fresh and strong as it ages. I am planning my Summer with learning in mind.

Any time we spend at home, and I can go to my 7 Jiu-Jitsu classes each week.

Probably we'll spend a fair chunk of time in Victoria, where I can attend two Karate and two Judo classes a week.

I also toy with the idea of a trip to Los Angeles, where I can train at the main Gracie Academy up to 22 sessions a week.

That's probably too much even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment