Wednesday 11 January 2012

EveryDay

The last couple of times I've attended the local Karate class, the only students have been Wade, Justin, and Michael. It was starting to seem that besides myself and the instructor, this was the entire club.

What with holidays and such, I haven't been there in over a month. Turns out that the Sensei can't be there this Friday so she messaged me could I please be there to teach. No sweat, I agreed.

I put a note up on the club's Facebook page saying what was happening. Already, enough people have responded that I am expecting at least six to attend the Friday class. Some I haven't seen in months.

I like everybody who has been in the club. As we've gotten thin on the ground, I've been missing them.

If my schedule changes such as I'm expecting I won't be able to attend at all. This will be unfortunate, but such is life. Moving on, and leaving people behind.

If I want to keep doing Karate in an organized way I'll have to set up some totally new classes. In a way this will be being a traitor to the old club. Even if I set up miles away, it will likely cause some competition for membership.

Pity about that.

Probably wouldn't be resented if I kept a new club within the existing club's association, the ISKF. The problem is, I wouldn't.

I would want to do whatever necessary to get Ogawa Sensei to be part of the club. If he agreed, he'd be the club Sensei. He can only attend on weekends so one session would be timed that way. He might not agree but I really want him in. He is a great teacher.

He has no interest in being part of the ISKF. If he were the chief instructor, I'd let him pick how he wanted to handle association relations. I'd suggest he consider the JKA through JKA-BC.

If we go that route, my old association connections would get us perks. We would be authorized to do exams up to Brown Belt locally. But as I said it would be up to him.

I'd be willing to teach on the one or two other weekly classes that Ogawa Sensei could not attend. I'd make these be on non-Jiu-Jitsu evenings.

Let's say it all works as I am fantasizing. Karate on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. Jiu-Jitsu on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

If weeks were 8 days long, I could even have an evening off.

No comments:

Post a Comment