Friday 20 January 2012

Hours

So I've been doing three day of Jiu-Jitsu and one day of Karate per week. I've dropped one Jiu-Jitsu and added another.

So now I'm doing three days of Jiu-Jitsu and one of Karate per week. That's a net change of nuttin'.

In either case, it's 4.5 hours of class time a week.

I also go to a single, two-hour session of higher-level Karate in Vancouver once a month. To do this, I miss one hour of Jiu-Jitsu.

That makes my average about 4.75 hours of martial arts per week.

Does that sound like a lot?

After gaining my Blue Belt, it will increase to 7.5 hours a week.

When I was the local Karate teacher, I used to do 10 hours a week. Granted, the instructor doesn't have to push as hard as the students most of the time.

The point is, martial arts can be a big commitment. They don't have to be.

The other Jiu-Jitsu White Belts do 2 or 3 hours a week. The advanced people do up to 6.

People at the Karate class do 3 hours a week and do not attend monthly seminars in the city.

What number of hours is too much? If I ever get to train at the Gracie main academy I'll have access to 22 classes a week. I think just might be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment