Wednesday 11 January 2012

Lightning progress

If you have read this blog much, you must have noticed that I can go math geek about things. That's how I know I can be able to test for Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt by Summer.

Today I did the same kind of thing for my JJ future beyond Blue Belt.

There are stripe tests for Blue Belt. To be allowed to do any of the four stripe tests, one must have completed 100 advanced classes.

At 3 classes per week, I might be able to go for the first stripe in about April of next year.

Trouble is, stripes don't seem to motivate me much. Entire belts? A much more interesting goal.

There are 4 stripes before each next belt colour switch.

Purple Belt? Should take about 3-4 years, assuming successful exams.

Brown Belt looks about 7 years off?

Black Belt? As I'll be 61 years old by the time I get Brown it might not be possible to get as high as Black Belt. We'll see.

My cunning calculations assumed 13 classes a month, with December counting as half a month (off to visit family). It also assumes no training this Summer or next. After that I'll be retired and Summer is just like the rest of the year.

I also threw in a single, private lesson each month. I like the odd private session, and this seems reasonable.

What I didn't take into account is just as significant. I assumed no illnesses and no injuries. There is no time put aside for cruises, visiting Europe, or Japan, and no time for Vegas, baby. This is most unrealistic, but the amount of time it too hard to predict.

Put aside 5 lost classes a year to injury or sickness, and 10 to vacations? What if we visit Los Angeles sometime, and I train 11 times a week? To simplify, I just left all that stuff out.

I hope I enjoy my Blue Belt, as I'll be wearing it a very long while.



No comments:

Post a Comment