Wednesday 30 May 2012

Strength

I learn a lot from big training partners.

In my class, I'm one of the larger people. As a result, I can make most techniques work on my smaller classmates even when I do the move somewhat wrong. I can just muscle through.

With any of the other big guys, I can't. I must do it correctly.

It's funny, but to work on big people, it is actually better to use less strength.

As I've learned from this, I have become careful to also apply it when training with smaller opponents. I treat them as if they can hold me as firmly as the big boys do. I do not use strength, but try and apply only technique. In doing this I am practising moves that work on both small and large opponents.

Jiu-Jitsu really requires very little strength. If done right, it is like performing magic.

Once I am a Blue Belt, and get to walk around helping the White Belts I'm going to specialize in the bigger guys. I will watch them carefully for evidence of bulling through. If they are guilty, I'll swap them off to work with me. I won't let them succeed through muscle.

If they are too strong for me, I'll suggest that Sterling or Corey partner with the violator for a while and not let them muscle through. Sterling and Corey are the two biggest guys in the club, and both work in construction, and are both Blue Belts. Bulling through does not work on them if they don't want to let it.

If a big strong guy trains properly he should have no trouble with people smaller or his own size. He should succeed equally well against the dreaded bigger-and-stronger opponent, too.





No comments:

Post a Comment