Saturday 31 March 2012

It's working

The Davis Bay Karate Club is now one, whole class old.

There are five members. Today being Saturday it's hard for everyone to attend, so our inaugural class contained only myself with two students.

Both seem really happy to be training again. I was glad to be there, too.

The first goal is to get everybody ready for testing, as all of my students except one are overdue. This is also why I didn't try and recruit any new beginners. That would divert attention and time away from the old timers' needs. If any new folks find their way to us they will be welcomed, but I'm not out searching them out.

Once the ranks are stabilized at an appropriate level, we might decide as a group if we want beginners in May or June. It doesn't matter to me either way. We are able to pay our bills, and that's all that matters money wise.

I'd be just as happy holding off and doing a big push for new people in September. The fall seems to be when recruiting for activities is the most productive.

Maybe we should just stay focused. Three of the club's students should have earned their Green Belts by summer. The fourth is already a Brown Belt, and has been off for a decade or so. She won't be testing anytime soon. She'll likely be content shaking off the rust for a while.

A club with an old Black Belt, a Brown Belt, and three Green Belts would be a solid core to support a batch of beginners in September.

I don't think a club in Davis Bay will ever get very large. People where I live just don't seem willing to travel far for their activities. Davis Bay is a tiny place. A few might come from as far as Sechelt.

All we need is a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment