Sunday 4 March 2012

Rank correction

I've been thinking about the students that I know will be joining my new Karate Club.

All of those who have trained recently have one similar characteristic. They all hold rank below what they should.

One has been a Karate person for about a year, one a few months less than that, and another a few months more.

They should be wearing belts from Green to Blue. None are.

They do have rough spots I'd like to polish up. They all have well above average potential. I plan on pushing them intensely for a month.

I will be wearing my laser-powered teacher eyes. They will be ridden for every flaw. In one month or less, they will test for promotion. They will pass.

No rest for them, as they will test again before the end of June.

Only the presence of beginners could interfere with this intense training time. Likely we won't have any. If we do, they become a training tool. Does that sound painful?

It isn't. While I take the old folks through their paces, students will be expected to show the newbies the ropes until they can join the line. This helps the experienced students as they have to figure out how to verbalize what they know. If you want to learn; teach. I see no difficulty in having any new rookies ready to be Yellow Belts by July.

The club will shut down for July and August. Back at it for September. We have to get new people for autumn. Fall is good. It is the longest term by several weeks. Moving everybody up one more belt is no sweat for either them or for me.

This all must sound pretty driven. It isn't. I'm sure there will be time for more diverse learning than just pursuing rank. I am going to get Ogawa Sensei there sometimes. He is fabulous, and when present he is the boss.

The instructor from the neighbouring Shitu-ryu club wants to visit us, too.

I bet I could get the head of the JKA in the province to show up. Might save that for later.

Testing focus, with changes of pace.

I think that can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment