Saturday 10 March 2012

Bay

I bet I'm considered a traitor.



I am about to start up a new Karate club in the small community of Davis Bay. That's about 10km from the gym where the West Sechelt group trains. About a year and a half ago I helped get that group started, and was the instructor for several months. One of the other Black Belts who always wanted to be a Sensei took it over with my blessing.

Since then, my schedule has changed so much that I find myself rarely able to attend any of their classes. I've also been having thoughts about teaching a less body-stressful version of Karate.

I've finally decided to take the plunge and do it.

It looks like there are already about half a dozen people ready to become members.

All are former Karate people.

Some were my students over a decade ago. They seem to both want me as their teacher, and to do my gentler Karate. All have injuries and such.

Some were members of the West Sechelt club. Some were there when I was the instructor, and never successfully made the transition to the other instructor. Having a Sensei can be a very personal thing. I guess I fit them, and the other instructor didn't. All had quit training until they heard of my new club, and are eager to get started again.

I have no intention of trying to lure current members from the other club. Nothing would make me happier than if they continue for many years with a healthy enrolment of students.

I do not believe in the zero-sum concept of Karate club membership. That is the mistaken belief that there are only so many students to go around. My club is already proof in the fallacy of that theory. I will have half a dozen students. If I do not set up a club to handle them, none will seek out and train in another club. In effect, I have created a club without harming any existing group. Karate around here is up by six, and no club is down in membership.

However, I will not refuse to accept members from other clubs. I will welcome everybody who wants to train with me. I believe people should make up their own minds about things like that. If any of my students choose to go elsewhere, they will do so with my blessing and encouragement.

I am getting great support from the martial arts community. I notified the head of the JKA in the province, and I sense he would be happy to drop by and teach a session. The Sensei at the local Shitu-Ryu style Karate club is a Facebook friend, and also wants to come and visit. One of the Jiu-Jitsu instructors is a facebook friend and also wants to come by. I am also going to try and get a local 5th Dan to visit once in a while.

I’m pretty happy about how things are going, and they haven’t even started.





No comments:

Post a Comment