Wednesday 7 March 2012

Intense

Three weeks until the launch of the Davis Bay Karate Club. I will be pretty worked up about it by then. Not a minute of class will be wasted, as I want my old hands to progress two ranks in only a few months. I also want them to be motivated, and to love the experience.

Piece of cake.

Every class will start with basic technique. They all know the basics, so I don't teach right off the bat. They will do and I will watch. If they are correct, we move to the next technique. If not, I address the problem, and they drill in the correction. When the weakness is corrected, we move to the next.

We don't leave basics until either they complete the testing techniques to my satisfaction, or we run out of time.

We will work on Kata after the basics are done. It will be as precise as basics time was. We do not move on until the standard is test-ready, or we run out of time.

After Kata it will be Kumite, done to the same standard.

Some days we may not get to all three. Some days we will complete things before the final bell rings. On days like that I will have other activities ready to go.

I will keep notes on each student, their weaknesses and strengths. This will help me in planning outside of class time. It will also help me decide when each will test.

September will be different. The returning and new students will all 3.5 months to get ready for testing. I can go back to a more normal tempo. Some days will seem like I've described. Others might focus on tournament activities, or self-defense, or any of many other types of lesson.

Looking over the spreadsheet has been showing me that we might be able to afford another evening class on Wednesdays sometime. This will make progress much better for people who can't attend on both Saturday and Monday.

I've already been asked about kids classes. I'll call, "maybe" on that. I find that a lot more like work.

This is supposed to be fun, not work.





No comments:

Post a Comment