Monday 13 February 2012

Time

Does it take a long time to get a Black Belt?

I love that question, but many hate it. It seems to be a matter of pride to practise an art that has a long road to Black Belt.


A lot of Taekwondo people answer the question with 2-3 years. Ask them if that means it can be done in 2, and they'll seem embarrassed and say, "Yes, but..."

I'd call that a minimum of 2 years for Taekwondo, although that would be unusual.

In my kind of Karate it is impossible to get a Black Belt in 2 years. Not difficult. Impossible. If one trains without a break, never misses a testing opportunity, and never fails, the fastest a Black Belt can be earned is 3 years. I've only ever met one guy who did it in 3 years. 5 years is more typical.

I think Judo is more like 4 years minimum, and I don't know what is more normal.

If a student trains 3 times a week, 52 weeks a year, and never misses a class a Gracie Black Belt takes a bit over 10 years.

The whole belt thing was invented in Japan. In that country a first degree Black Belt is not considered any sort of expert. To the Japanese it means they are a student that is allowed to train in the same room with the experts. Get that? He isn't an expert, but he is allowed to train near experts.

In North America it has been twisted to mean a master of martial arts. This is ridiculous. I have been at this for 30 years and am nothing like an expert or a master. Somebody with 2 or 3 years training who thinks they know everything is quite entertaining.

I find the Japanese attitude the more appropriate out of the two.

I don't really know what the rank is supposed to mean in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I do know that the chance of me earning one is very slim.

For Pete's sake....ten years...







 

No comments:

Post a Comment