Saturday 11 February 2012

No Snap

I have a theory about aging. I believe that if someone has already been doing an activity before they are old, they will very likely be able to continue it. Starting a new activity when one is already old is quite a different matter.

The type of activity I am referring to are the highly physical kind. They are the kind that present a significant risk to participants.

I mean ones like the ones I do; running, biking, Karate, and Jiu-Jitsu.

It was my honour to attend classes with Nakayama Sensei several times. He was the head of the Japan Karate Association. He trained and taught up until his death at age 74. One of the founders of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Helio Gracie, was still training into his 90s.

I am hoping to continue my activities for as many years as possible. As the years roll by, I'll have to lessen the intensity and eventually let them go one-by-one.

Until then, I consider them a celebration of what I am able to do.

How many 55 year olds run? How many still ride bikes? Do many do Karate, or Jiu-Jitsu? I don't do it to brag to others, but I do it to speak to myself. Every class I attend or mile I log is something I am proud of.

I'm very glad I've gotten it all going now. If I hadn't, it might soon become too late to safely start. Helio Gracie was probably pretty safe on the mat into his 90s, but it would be crazy for a 90 year old to roll around for the first time. A beginner that age would snap into pieces.

I like doing these things, but I definitely don't want to ever snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment