Sunday 19 February 2012

In the cards

So where will I be in a week, a month, six months or a year?

Well, I'd have to say I'll be living in Sechelt in all of those time frames, and I'll still be teaching.

As a runner, in a week and a month I'll have cranked off an unimpressive number of kilometres. In six months, in August, things will be different. I'll run a lot of early morning miles and really enjoy it. In fact, in six months I'll be on a cruise ship, running when in port, and on deck, and on treadmills in the fitness center. And eating a lot of wonderful things.

In a year, I'll be doing a few plodding miles when I can. It will probably be raining.

Bikewise, in a week I'll have done another 50km to work. Likely within a month the bike will have gone into the shop for service, or it will be about to. Six months from now my bike will be all smiles. He likes doing summer rides, and it will be the middle of August.

In six months, I'll be on a cruise ship in Alaskan waters. Helen and I will both have our folding bikes along and going for rides in each port.

As a biker a year from now I will have completed the dark, nasty part of winter in my last year before retirement. Every morning will be lighter, and brighter, and warmer. That will be nice.

One week from now in Karate, I'll have attended a single class. In a month, maybe 4. That won't change anything much. Six months from now, I'll be training semi-regularly with the UVic club. That's fun to do. I'll also have trained again with my instructor from Japan, Sakurai Sensei. I'll also have trained with one of the legends, Oishi Sensei. Not much will change between that time and a year from now.

In Jiu-Jitsu I am a baby/rookie. A lot more should happen. In a week, I'll enter my final rotation of basic technique training. I'll also have reached halfway through the required Saturday reflex classes. In a month, even farther along. In six months I'll rarely be able to attend my home club, but I should be wearing a Blue Belt instead of White. In Victoria I will be training with the Judo Club. That will greatly help my Jiu-Jitsu.

In a year I'll have been back at regular training for 6 months and I should be getting vaguely close to taking the first exam for adding a spiffy stripe onto my Blue Belt.



It looks like all the big stuff will be noticeable at the six month mark, rather than at the week, month or year milestones. I'll be on a cruise ship, running, biking, training regularly in Karate, and Judo; will have earned a Blue Belt in Jiu-Jitsu; and will have trained with both Sakurai Sensei and Oishi Sensei.

So that's my short term future in all my regular activities. I'll also be farther along in my Xbox play, TV watching, Facebooking and Blogging, but those are all kind of embarrassing to mention.


No comments:

Post a Comment