Tuesday 28 February 2012

Tape

It's funny how significant silly little rewards become. In martial arts there are coloured belts that are indicators of one's process. Also, in Jiu-Jitsu one earns stripes on the belts to indicate smaller sub-steps in progress.

My goal is to get to the advanced class. I want access to the higher level training, and to getting twice as many classes per week at the same price.

To get there I need to earn a Blue Belt.

To get a Blue Belt there is a difficult exam.

To be allowed to test, one must do 69 combatives lessons, and 12 reflex classes.

To be allowed to attend reflex classes, one must have earned two stripes on the old White Belt.

To get two stripes one must have completed 40 combatives classes, and along the way, earned a first stripe.

I did 20 classes, got a first stripe, did 20 more, got a second stripe, and got access to the reflex lessons.

Now I'm working to finishing all the Blue Belt test requirements, and am about to get a third stripe.

So how do I describe all this in casual conversation? I say, "I'm working towards my Blue Belt."

Do I care about all the belts and stripes? Not really.

In my time I've seen hundreds of people pass belt exams. At Jiu-Jitsu, I've seen lots of stripes awarded. Funny thing; people always smile when the get a new belt, or even a mere stripe.

I wish I could say I'm totally immune to the allure of the new decoration. If I get my third stripe soon, I'll have the fanciest White Belt in the class. Three pieces of black, electrician tape.

Such an achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment