Saturday 4 February 2012

All about me

I've been working pretty hard to advance in Jiu-Jitsu quickly.

Why the rush?

Well, White Belt ranking is measured in stripes added with little pieces of tape. I have two stripes. Stop laughing. The stripes aren't the point.

After earning the second stripe you are permitted to attend the Saturday morning Reflex Development class. It is a little more advanced and done in a different style. It really firms up the learning already done.

If I hadn't tried for perfect attendance, and also done ten extra private lessons, I wouldn't be there yet. In fact, I'd have over a month to go.

So I've qualified for an extra class once a week, but even that isn't the entire story.

If I'd taken my time I would have gotten to the Saturday class about the same time as about ten other people.

Currently, there is only a tiny roster of White Belts permitted to attend. Think about it. Young people.... early Saturday morning class....

I was the only White Belt there today, with two Blue Belts and the chief instructor. It was all aimed directly at me. Almost a private lesson with the top instructor, and with two advanced sparring partners. It was wonderful.

The last time, I had to share it all with one other White Belt. Maybe next time I'll have to share again, but maybe not.

It will be fine when the big herd of White Belts arrive, but by then I'll have benefited from the current situation for quite a while.

Clearly, it's all about me. For a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment