Saturday 11 February 2012

Grime

Most colours of martial arts belts stand up pretty well. The belts themselves are very tough, and can last for many years. Some of the lighter colours, however, look really dirty long before that.

When I started in Jiu-Jitsu, I needed a white belt. I found one my size mixed in with all my old Karate stuff. It was one that had been worn by somebody else until they earned their Yellow, and then donated back to the club. The uniforms don't come with belts, so a second-hand one can save somebody eight bucks. Anyhow, I had one left from long ago.

It was in acceptable shape, but already looking a little dingy. I've been making it worse since then with a mix of sweat and mat grime.

In most martial arts it wouldn't have mattered, as I would have changed colour by now already. Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, however, doesn't have belt changes so quickly.

The soonest I might leave this old white belt behind is still four months away. If I don't get it all completed on schedule, I won't get to change belts until in the fall. Let's say I'm back at full time training in September to freshen up after the summer break, and then do the test itself throughout October.

I just might be wearing this grungy old belt for nine more months. By then it will be pretty disgusting. It already makes a bad showing against the fresh whiteness of my frequently-washed uniforms.

Today, the old warrior went into the wash. I have seen belts washed that then fell apart. Sometimes they turn all fuzzy. I used the gentlest cycle on the dial. Can't use the dryer on these things, so instead used an iron to get things started, and then laid it out to dry.

It looks much better, and should last nicely even if it has to do so until November.

If I do wear it until then, I'll be expected to wear 7 black stripes on my belt. Usually people change to Blue after gaining 4.

A 7 stripe White Belt would be a little embarrassing.

Even if it is a clean one.

No comments:

Post a Comment