Sunday 19 February 2012

Game rating

My verdict is in on the new fighting game called UFC Undisputed 3.

Let's ignore how stupid the name itself is. The graphics are good, and the controls seem to work quite well. The career game is well thought out. In the ring, there are tons and tons of moves.

So how is it? I'll be playing it a lot, but even so it isn't perfect. When I compare the game play and graphics to the only other decent competing title it doesn't come off so well.

Electronic Arts game called MMA was released two years ago. The 3d modelling was about the same, but the fighters moved in a much more natural and realistic way. In the game play, the fighting was more logical and realistic, and the controls fit the scheme perfectly.

There is one reason that the UFC game is still around and MMA isn't. The UFC is dominant in their ability to use real world big-name fighters. That seems to make all the difference. It's why I'm playing the new game instead of hauling out the old one.

I like the UFC game's career mode very much. It is possible to create just about anybody you want as a fighter. Pity it doesn't allow the importation of real facial photos like MMA did. I used to look exactly like me when I fought. Now I look like some kinda movie star. It is really nice that it is now possible to make fighters with big fat bellies, or even skinny bones dudes.

I haven't really done all that much in career mode yet. I've built a guy, trained him up, dressed him in his Barbie outfit, and won a single bout with him.

One thing that I really hate is that tons of the games content is locked. There were 4 fighters, hundreds of clothing items, and many other features that you can't use. As you fight, you earn brownie points that you can use to unlock this content. I hate that.

There is online play. I won't do that, as I never get good enough to challenge the button-mashing junkies. I don't want to get good enough. It's a sign that one has wasted far too much time.

The game, however, doesn't help a martial artist's training in any way. To get out of an opponent's guard, you flick the right button up and around, or down and around.

That doesn't translate well.



No comments:

Post a Comment