Tuesday 12 April 2011

Weapon

I like archaic weapons. You know the type. The kind you see in martial arts movies.

The bo is great. A six foot pole of tapered hardwood. It can hit really, really hard. More energy in it than a baseball bat, focused into a business end of less than a square inch.

I like the sai, too. They are used in pairs, and look like big, heavy, rotisserie forks. One spins them like a baton twirler. They are designed to catch opponent's weapons, and to shatter enemy's bones.

I never got interested in any of the other "Karate" weapons. Fiddled with nunchaku enough to know they were not for me. Tonfas are interesting. They are where police batons came from, but again, not for me.

I've done some fencing. Don't like the foil. Each fencing weapon has it's own style, and rules of competition. I really like the epee, and have never done saber.

I've done a little Iaido, which is the art of Japanese sword. That is very cool. Swinging Samurai swords. Can't think of any way to get closer to being a Samurai than by studying the Katana.

I've never gotten any good with any of these weapons of destruction. The weapon I've actually spent the most time using is the rifle I trained with in the Army.  Much, much more time than all the others put together. It was about a hundred times more effective...

...but somehow it isn't the same thing at all.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment