Thursday 7 April 2011

Dummy

When I used to live up north, and was head of a Karate club, I used to get paid a singular honour.

Whenever a big instructor was brought up for a seminar, he would need a dummy to demonstrate upon. For about two years, I was always that dummy. It is an honor, in that if you don't perform up to snuff, another will be chosen. Always me, at least until we grew a few more Black Belts.

Sometimes it was no big deal. He'd explain to the group what was happening, and, taking my cue from that, would play my part. He'd block, or counter, or whatever. Like I said, no big deal.

Don't let anybody ever tell you that Karate doesn't have throws. Bam, I'm on the floor, and have to get up instantly when it's completed so it can all happen again.

Joint lock demos are the worst. The pain is unbelievable. I've been pretzeled many times. The nearest description would be getting hit by lightning. I'd rather take a sprightly kick to the testicles. Have to pop up instantly, too, so it can all happen again.

Maybe, that's why I took ten years off....

...nah....

No comments:

Post a Comment