Friday 29 April 2011

Far

Have you ever had a weird trip idea? I have one.

It would be cool to hook one of those bike trailer things onto my electric bike, and head south along the coast until I hit Mexico. At about a hundred kilometres a day with a few days off, it would take about a month.

I’d haul along all four of the batteries we own, and would consider getting another one or two. Would have to pack along the chargers.

Couldn’t do such a trip without my cool Garmin GPS that straps to my handlebars. Would need both my iPods, of course, and my iPad, and my good camera should be along, too. More chargers.

Raingear! I want top-notch raingear. And a reasonable collection of clothes.

I’m a big wuss, so camping gear will not be required. I’m a hotel/motel kinda guy, and like eating out.

To keep the cost reasonable, it would be wise to go in the off season. September could work, if I was retired. Less traffic on the roads then, too.

For the trip home, a combination of the Surfliner and Coast Starlight trains would be lovely. I don’t think one has to pedal the train. I could be wrong.

There are a couple of problems with this cunning plan. On a trip this long, there would have to be several mechanical hitches. I am, perhaps, the least mechanical guy on the planet.

Also, I don’t think this thing is in any way my wife’s dream trip. Nightmare might be closer the mark.

It might be a nightmare for me, too. The longest one-day trip I’ve ever done is about 50 kilometres, with a lengthy break in the middle. Expecting to do double this distance every day for a month is ambitious. My bum might not be up to it, nor my legs, nor my lungs. How would I handle a road-rash incident?

Might be an idea to do the train south and north, and leave the bike at home.





No comments:

Post a Comment