Sunday 17 April 2011

Sunny

At 6am this morning the sky was showing a bit of blue. I waited until the light came down from the treetops and touched the ground before heading out on my run. The light, however, was being filtered by a bank of poorly-placed clouds, and so carried no heat at all. I felt quite hard done by. Wore long sleeves, gloves, and my silly head rag.

I was planning to do one of my usual runs, but in reverse direction. This would be better, if there was any real sunshine, at the price of a mess of nasty up hills.

Trudging up the first, frosty gradient I felt quite cold but good. I was moving faster than I expected. One kilometer in, and everything was immediately bathed in serious sunshine. Haven't had the like here in a very long time. In celebration, I added an optional extra looping road onto my route. After the loop, I changed from my sissy 5km planned trail, to the longest one around here.

By the time I headed into the forest my sleeves were rolled up, my gloves in one pocket, and my kerchief in the other.

It still being early morning, the light within the woods was magical. The word dappled comes to mind, but doesn't do it justice. Popped out a mile or so farther on, and turned for home along the now-warm asphalt streets.

Got home still fresh, with a goofy smile on my face. It ended up being twelve kilometers. It had been easy, and I'd gone much faster than my norm.

I'd claim to be a great athlete, but it was all the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment