Monday 18 April 2011

GEEK

This entry has nothing to do with Karate, or biking, or even running. What is the topic? It’s kind of a confession.

I’m a GEEK.

First got interested in technology after moving up North in 1980. My first computer was an Apple II plus. Was programming it myself in no time at all. When I went back to college, the computer instructor didn’t know what to do with me. I was more advanced than she was. Got and A+ in that course.

I’ve owned 14 computers since then, from Apples, to Windows machines, and even a couple of Macbooks. Built one of the Windows computers from scratch.

When we moved to Sechelt, GEEKS were kinda rare. Got my first job at the high school here teaching technology classes and keyboarding. I soon taught programming, and web page design once the internet happened along. This included keeping a room full of computers happy and content.

I have owned a ton other tech toys. This has included a ton of mp3 players over the years. Now have an ipod shuffle, a touch, and an ipad. Helen has an iphone, and we both do digital photography. Did I mention that we have a Wii, an Xbox 360, a PVR, and watch movies on Netflix? Our vacuum cleaner is a robot.

I haven’t taught any technology classes in a long time.

Had a lovely chat with another former technology teacher at my school today. We both felt it would be murder to ever do such a class ever again. We both feel seriously left behind.

Even immersed in technology, and maintaining a hobbyist’s interest, I am no longer up to date.

But I’m still a serious GEEK. Electric bike, for pete’s sake.



No comments:

Post a Comment