Wednesday 20 April 2011

Football Gear

This weekend Helen and I are going into the big city of Vancouver. We’ll be visiting our good friends Bernie and Lola, and Lola’s mom Phyllis. I expect many laughs.

There should be plenty of time for me to pop into my favourite martial arts store. It’s time to buy some sparring gloves.

My ones from back in the 20th century are still downstairs, but they were a joke even then. They are extremely thin, and padded with something quite rigid. There may have been some shock absorbing effect, but it was minimal.

I’ll be picking up some properly made ones approved by the World Karate Federation. They are thick enough to provide a smidge of protection from a moderately excessive hit.

I’ve been resisting getting them. Somehow sparring in the nude is emotionally superior. I mean nude in the no-padding sense.

Sure, you get hit a bit more that way, but it also forces you to be always careful of your control. The illusion of safety provided by the gloves encouraged sloppy technique.

That’s the old theory, anyhow. In practice, it has proven to be false.

I’ll also be getting some of the matching foot booties, too. Should I get shin guards, and forearm guards? A chest protector might be nice. WKF has also started introducing a clear shield that covers a competitor’s face. When does the equipment go too far? Is football safer than rugby? I think not.

I think I’ll get hand and foot pads, and leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment