Saturday 9 April 2011

Antique

Today, as I was loading up my gym bag, my old favorite white uniform caught my eye. I've had that Gi for about a thousand years. It is special, with a spiffy crest embroidered on the chest, and it also has my name stitched on the side in Kanji lettering. My old association did a special order. It was pretty expensive, but I wish I'd bought five. As a custom order from the top Japanese uniform maker, the quality and cut are the best that exist. I wore my fancy-embroidered top-quality Gi until it just about away wore into dust. It has an interesting pattern of strategic wear holes. The entire thing could come apart at any time. There is no way my old friend could ever be mended.

So I took it to class. It held together, and was as comfy as ever, but now it's one hour closer to terminal collapse.  It goes back onto the shelf.

Funny how we can revere old stuff.

In Karate, the actual black belts consist of black satin thread surrounding a white core. Over time the satin loses its shine, and eventually starts losing threads. The belt developes a lovely patina. I've seen belts that have almost totally turned white. Not a new white, but a hundred-year-old looking white. They are so cool.

After about a decade as a Black Belt, my belt was pretty worn. Mostly earned from training but one particular blemish was created by a pet rabbit's love of chewing interesting things. My students called it, "the Bunny Belt." A forty-something instructor in a belt like that demands respect. People who didn't know me would approach and bow to show their respect. Problem is, I'd often be standing next to a second or third degree Black Belt, but I'd get the bow. I was a first degree. I bought a new, shiny belt to eliminate the problem.

Now, I'm in my 50's, and my new belt looks the same as the Bunny Belt. Again, too much respect. Time for a third belt.

New belts need a lot of training before they behave. They undo uncontrollably. Today, my newest belt finally decided it was time to settle down. Maybe having tied it around such a well-trained and venerable uniform helped. Logic says, "no", but who can tell how clothing thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment