Tuesday 19 April 2011

Dan

Please excuse all the rank talk, but it matters.

The highest rank that exists in Karate is 10th Dan (Judan). It is a measure of mastery, along with a lifetime of commitment. It is also similar to a military rank

In the old days, Shotokan had no 10th Dan, even though it was the world’s largest style.

The head man was named Masatoshi Nakayama, and he held the rank of 9th Dan. Every time the association tried to bestow 10th Dan on him, he declined. Didn’t think he needed it, I suppose.

My own instructor, Sakurai Sensei, was a 5th Dan back then.

This meant that all the top people around the world could only aspire to 8th Dan, at least if they were Shotokan stylists.

It was my great honour to be able to train under Nakayama Sensei once at the San Diego Summer Camp, and once when he visited Vancouver. When I failed my first Black Belt exam, he was the head examiner. I was failed by the Master. A distinction, of sorts.

I also managed to train a session or two under 8th Dans, Nishiyama and Enoeda. Had a few classes under 7th Dan Yamaguchi.

After Nakayama Sensei passed away in 1987, the rank structure remained frozen, but with no 9th Dan. After a few years of stability to honour his memory, a form of Shotokan rank inflation occurred.

The old 8th Dans became 10th Dans to put them more in line with the world’s other styles.

This last December, I got to train in a couple of classes with 9th Dan Yaguchi Sensei and 7th Dan Gary Swain. A month ago 6th Dan Dixon visited our local club.

Out of all these big instructors, who is the very best?

The easy answer would be the highest rank, but that’s a cop out. If I really try and select the best, my decision would be based on very short acquaintance. Just a class or two with each. I can only judge by what I saw and heard.

Hands down, the answer is Sakurai Sensei, who was my own instructor. He is currently a 7th Dan. My selection has nothing whatsoever to do with loyalty. His depth of knowledge is astounding, and he works at being able to present what he knows in a way students can understand. He cares about each person in the room. He never allows himself to accept the easy answer to technical problems. Currently he lives in far away in Japan.

The miracle of my current situation is that there is a 5th Dan in my small town who is the second best instructor I’ve ever met. Ogawa Sensei has all the characteristics that I most value in Sakurai Sensei.

The third best instructor ever?

That would be me. Ooops. Did I say that out loud?

No comments:

Post a Comment