Saturday 16 April 2011

Cultures don't need to collide

I was born in Canada, as were my parents. Their parents were all born in Europe, three out of the four in Britain.

Must say I'm pretty much a product of mainstream North American experience and perception. My morning today started very much in this mode. Rode my electric bike to town, bought a new battery for our cordless phone, and had breakfast at McDonalds. Went home and played video games on my xbox 360 on my 60 inch TV.

Then off to Karate. Our club of about 15 people study this Japanese art. None of us is Asian. We use Japanese terminology and wear Japanese uniforms.

When I got home, Helen and I rushed off to a housewarming party. Most of the people were part of Helen's drumming circle. After eating, about 30 people played their self-made native drums, singing in time. Most of the people there were not of First Nations ancestry.

In my grandparents time, could they have experienced any of that? Could my parents in their's? Canada, not so long ago, sent Japanese Canadians to concentration camps, and Native children to hellish residential schools.

I love living in this place and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment