Wednesday 6 April 2011

Karate Stuff

There is so much to be exposed to before one can wear the coveted Black Belt. Of course, there is the obvious stuff, like stances and kicking and blocking and punching. That's not what I mean.

There are the Katas, each of up to 75 moves, which most be done perfectly correctly.  Nope, that's not it either.

I mean stuff like breathing. Everybody knows how to breath, but not how to do so for maximum effect. And which muscles does one squeeze in a particular situation.

Why so picky, if the basic movements are 'correct'? Because 'correct' isn't good enough. A Black Belt candidate needs to show that their brain knows the technical things, and that the brain has trained the body how to apply them properly.

This shows up in all the test sections, in the kihon (basics), Kata (forms), and even in the Kumite (fighting).

An example is the very first technique done in the entire exam. It is a triple punch. Step forward with the right foot, punch with the right hand, then the left hand, then again with the right. Sounds easy, expecially if one is young, fast, and athletic. Wrong. It's very technical. On the first punch one moves the hips in a way known as hip vibration, on the second, the hip is cocked back and delivers hip rotation, on the third, the hips again perform hip vibration.

I get a kick out of activities where one claims one is an expert after an absurdly short period of training. It took me just over 4 years to receive my first degree Black Belt (Shodan). Was I an expert? Not bloody likely.

In Karate, one is considered a beginner upon earning Shodan. It is time to START learning. Sort of like saying, "you have completed kindergarten, and can now enter grade one".

I prefer the Japanese version of expert to the western one. I'll never consider myself a Karate expert, even if someday I become one.

No comments:

Post a Comment