Wednesday 8 January 2014

Bits

My third day on the mat will be starting soon, so it might be a good time to reflect on the first bit of training.

There are a ton of students of every type, and yet the desk lady has learned my name already. That's a nice touch.

The students are polite enough, but none has actually smiled at me until after we have rolled together. I find that interesting. After that they are often all grins, and ask my name. I guess it's an outsider thing.

The school tracks attendance on sign-in cards. We pick them up at the desk and they are collected and signed by the instructors. I should complete well over three of the thirty-slot cards before my time is done.

I've been to seven classes so far. One was taught by Ryron Gracie, one by Sam DiMaggio, and another by Jordan Colins. The other four were all lead by Rener Gracie. All are fabulous and bring something different into the mix.

Today was the first time that Rener Gracie was free enough for me to introduce myself. He said that my goal of not missing any of the 104 Master Cycle classes in the next 8 weeks as very ambitious and admirable.

As expected, it is hard keeping myself supplied with clean uniforms. What is a surprise is my severe underwear shortage. On some days I run through four pair. The hotel has a coin operated washer and dryer, but it's hard to find the time with all the training and holidaying. Might go to Walmart or Target to pick up a gross of spare underpants.

My major body components are holding up well, but I'm collecting bruises and bumps with vigour. The matburns on my face look like some hideous skin rash, and my feet look like I've been kicking cactuses.

...and all fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment