Wednesday 30 November 2011

Generations

The kind of Jiu-Jitsu I am learning comes from the Gracie family.

The founders' generation is gone, having passed away in the 1990s.

The torch was passed to their children. These are a bunch of people more-or-less my age.

They are the senior core, but most of the day-to-day running of things has been passed on again.

The third generation run a lot of the training, the main academy, and the distance program I am part of.

These guys were born in the early eighties. That's about when I started training in Karate. I was teaching it before these guys were in school. I'd headed two clubs, taught hundreds of students, and produced Black Belts who opened their own clubs before the young crop of Gracies ever got their own Black Belts.

By the time I entered Jiu-Jitsu, the young Gracies are about 30 years of age, and have held Black Belts for about ten years. Now I learn from them, via my own instructor.

They are the experts. I am the novice.

Wheels turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment